Recovery, more and more is a vital part of any training program whether endurance sports, training sessions, or short burst sports like football. Nutrients and fluids must be replaced to help the body tissues heal and regenerate. Here are some good ideas from the Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition, a dietetic practice group of the American Dietetic Association.
- If you have 2 training sessions per day or your next training session is within 8 hours, recovery nutrition is crucial.
- If you do not have an appetite following a training session, choose liquid foods that meet your recovery goals.
- Along with carbs, fluids, & electrolytes, protein is an important part of recovery, particularly if you participate in high intensity training sessions that damage muscle tissue (resistance training, interval sessions, etc)
- Smoothie made with yogurt & frozen berries
- Sports drink + sport bar
- Graham Crackers with peanut butter + low fat chocolate milk + banana
Meal Recovery Ideas
- whole wheat pita sandwich with turkey & veggies + pretzels + low fat milk
- rice bowl with beans, cheese, salsa, avocado + whole grain tortilla chips or whole wheat tortilla
For more information contact www.scandpg.org